ZIP THE TYNE LINE

Sunday 22 March 2015


Last year, I sadly lost my Grandpa due to several strokes and other medical issues. Last Saturday would have been his 80th birthday, although he would have argued with me that he was not actually that old.

To wish him a happy birthday in a way he would absolutely despise, I zip-lines across the River Tyne (Newcastle) in order to raise money for the Stroke Association. This may have been one of the best decisions I have ever made. It was literally so much fun yet if you have a fear of heights or water or anything that involves you being harnessed onto something, then it is probably not for you. Previously I have abseiled off the Transporter Bridge in Teeside(twice) and I loved that so I figured I would love this too.

After a while of convincing my aunty, we signed up and started the fund raising process. In the run up to the event, I managed to raise just over £100 in cash and also set up on an online sponsor page. My sponsor page is still running if you would like to donate any money to the cause.

https://www.justgiving.com/LaurynLogan

I arrived on the morning of Saturday 14th and after waiting an hour, I was harnessed up and lead up to the roof of the Baltic.  Whilst up the top it was absolutely freezing, but had the most beautiful view of Newcastle/Quay Side which I managed to get a quick snap of whilst being clipped onto the safety line. I was the third in line to be clipped into the Zip Line, with my aunt behind me, eagerly waiting for my turn. I must have been the only one excited to go down..












When it came to it, the guy unclipped me from the safety line and I walked across to the edge of the Baltic roof, he clipped my safety line onto the zip line then had me sit on the edge of the building whilst he set up my zip-wire trolley. Once I was set up I had a couple of minutes wait whilst the guys at the other end prepare for my arrival. Then suddenly, the guy just said "Go" So off I jumped. I literally jumped off the top of the Baltic and soared across the Tyne. Not that I could see much because I was spinning and attempting to do something funny for my family watching me at the other side.

The next thing I remember seeing was the guys at the finish point all up in my face like "why are you not shaking", "you are the happiest person that has come down here" as I landed on the scaffolding and got unclipped.



This was literally the best experience ever and I am so desperate to do it again. Not only was it loads of fun it was for a cause close to my heart, which makes it extra special. If anyone is thinking of doing any event like this, I would say just go for it and have fun. It is amazing and you will not regret it. Even my aunt, who was petrified, loved it so much she is desperate to do it again.

-L

https://www.justgiving.com/LaurynLogan

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment